TRUSTEES IN ATTENDANCE:                  James T. Walker, Esquire, Jim Wilder &

                                                                        Johnathan Ferguson, Esquire

 

OTHER IN ATTENDANCE:                                    Nora J. Everlove, Librarian & Lynn T. Atkinson,

                                                                        Secretary

 

TRUSTEES ABSENT:                                   Hon. Burton C. Conner, Chairman & Paul A.

                                                                        Lewis, Commissioner                         

______________________________________________________________________________

            MR. WALKER ACTED AS CHAIR FOR THIS MEETING:

I.          MINUTES:

            Due to the absence of Judge Conner and Ms. Lewis the discussion and approval of the minutes from the August 14, 2009 and September 21, 2009 meeting were tabled until the November 2009 meeting.  Mr. Wilder made a motion.  Mr. Ferguson seconded the motion and it was carried unanimously.

II.        FINANCIAL STATEMENTS:

            Due to the absence of Judge Conner and Ms. Lewis discussion and approval of the financial statements for August 2009 were tabled until the November 2009 meeting.   Mr. Wilder made a motion.  Mr. Ferguson seconded the motion and it was carried unanimously.

III.       LIBRARIAN’S REPORT:

            1)         Everything for the new law library space should have been delivered by this week.  Ms. Everlove reported that she has calls into the contractor today and has not received a return call to explain why everything has not been delivered.

            2)         Friends/Farmer’s Market Booth:  Robert will be setting up a booth and manning a booth for the Friends at the Saturday Farmer’s Market.  Mr. Walker reported that he has already picked up the tent from Mr. Walker’s Office to use at the market.  Mr. Walker reported that he will be there along with some of the other members.  Senator Negron has been invited to serve as the guest speaker at the 2010 Law Week Reception.  He is consulting his calendar and will get back to the Friends.  Ms. Everlove reported that the preliminaries for the May 2010 Reception have already begun.  The search for Honorees for 2010 has begun as well and nominations are being taken.  The Friends have been granted Tax Exempt status.

            3)         Sgt. Massey form the St. Lucie County Sheriff’s Office has been very cooperative concerning the use of trustees from the jail to help with the move.         

            4)         Ms. Everlove reported that she believes the new space will be functional in 30 days.

            5)         Storage Space (Old City Jail- 7th Street):   Ms. Everlove reported that the space will meet the needs for the book storage.  The cells are the right dimension and she believes that some of the old shelves will be usable.  The lights run in the right direction and the facility is closer.  Ms. Everlove reported that she will ask for 2 cells to make sure that we have enough space.  Ms. Everlove approximated that it will cost approximately $2,000.00 to move 50 book cases (1,000 linear feet of books).  At our current rate the 2 cells should last for the next 10 plus years.  If in the future we become fully funded again and add to our collection then it will exhaust the storage space much quicker.  Ms. Everlove is to check with Mr. Shinn to see if there are fire sprinklers.

            6)         SmartBoard:  Mr. Walker inquired about the SmartBoard.  Ms. Everlove reported that since she had missed the last meeting she did not know until yesterday that she needed to check with County IT about this matter.  She will check with them and report back at the next meeting.  Mr. Ferguson reported that the PSL Bar Association had not met yet to discuss their contribution toward the SmartBoard.  He is confident that he will be able to report on this at the November meeting.  Ms. Everlove volunteered to attend and speak to the PSL Bar members if helpful.

            7)         Signage:  Mr. Walker inquired as to what had been done about the signage for the new space.  We will need a sign over the door, hopefully a stand-alone sign outside the Law Library and a sign on the other side of the building directing everyone to the entrance on Indian River Drive.        Ms. Everlove will call Mr. Shinn to inquire about the signage.  Mr. Walker will need to get with the City of Ft. Pierce to have the signs modified to show the Law Library is now located on Indian River Drive.

            8)         LMA:  Mr. Ferguson inquired if our cost saving measures were taking effect.  Ms. Everlove reported that yes they are in place.  She further stated that she did not realize although she should have, that we have to pay the LMA in advance instead of arrears. 

            IV.       FIRST RESPONSE EQUIPMENT:

            Mr. Wilder stated that he feels that the Law Library should have a good First Aid Kit and an Automatic External Difibrillator with staff being trained on the equipment.  He volunteered to conduct the emergency first response training at his cost.  He is a certified instructor.   If no other funding is available or the County won’t provide one, Mr. Wilder volunteered to write a grant to help defray the cost.  Cost for the equipment would be about $1,200.00.  But Mr. Wilder report that sometimes the companies will cut the cost in half and he feels that a grant can be written to pay for the other half. 

            Mr. Ferguson suggested that Ms. Everlove contact Mr. Shinn to see what if anything the County will provide for the Law Library.  The St. Lucie County Sheriff’s Office currently provides an Automatic External Difibrillator (AED) for the courthouse.

            V.        2008/2009 FISCAL YEAR ANNUAL AUDIT:

            Ms. Atkinson presented copies of the annual audit to the trustees.  She reported that there were no problems with the audit and we are in compliance.  She further reported that all deposits and petty cash were rectified on September 30, 2009. 

            VI.       FLOOD INSURANCE:

            Ms. Atkinson reported that Sue from Harbour Insurance contacted her concerning the new law library space for flood insurance purposes.  Ms. Everlove reported that she had been contacted as well.  Ms. Atkinson referred her to Roger Shinn for particulars concerning the building.        

            As there was no further business to discuss the meeting was adjourned.

DATE:  November _____________, 2009

 

_______________________________________________________

BURTON C. CONNER, Chairman

 

 

_______________________________________________________

JIM WILDER, Member

 

 

_______________________________________________________

JOHNATHAN FERGUSON, Member

 

 

 

_______________________________________________________

PAULA A. LEWIS, Member

 

 

_______________________________________________________

JAMES T. WALKER, Member