TRUSTEES IN ATTENDANCE: Hon. Burton C. Conner, James T. Walker, Esquire,
Johnathan Ferguson, Esquire, Jim Wilder & Paul A. Lewis, County Commissioner
OTHERS IN ATTENDANCE: Nora J. Everlove, Librarian
OTHERS ABSENT: Lynn T. Atkinson, Secretary
Judge Conner called the September 9, 2011 monthly meeting of the Rupert J. Smith Law Library to order.
Mr. Walker moved approval of the minutes for the previous meeting. Mr. Ferguson seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
II. FINANCIAL REPORTS:
The August 2011 Financial Reports were unavailable so there were no reports to discuss and/or approve at this meeting.
III: 2011/2012 FISCAL YEAR PROPOSED BUDGET:
Ms. Everlove presented a four page packet to the Trustees for the 2011/2012 Fiscal Year Proposed Budget (see Exhibit A attached hereto and made a part hereof). The sheets reflect the following:
An increase in expenditures for the next fiscal year of approximately $30K ($286K to $306K). The increases are explained in the footnotes on this page line item by line item and reflect the increases that were tentatively approved by the Trustees at the August 5, 2011 Meeting.
All items (new expenditures) that were tabled at the August 5, 2011 Meeting for further discussion as this Meeting.
As is scenario, which reflects current expenditures with inflation, but does not include the increase in expenditures approved at the August 5, 2011 meeting.
1. Contract Services/Technology Survey. Ms. Everlove approached Mr. Brammer to conduct a technology survey, which he agreed to do for the cost of $400.00. The survey is for software updates, security for the computer system, hardware and other miscellaneous matters as discussed at the August 5, 2011 Meeting, this is a one-time expenditure. Moved to approve by Mr. Ferguson, seconded by Mr. Walker and unanimously approved.
2. CLE Purchase: Mr. Ferguson reported that the Florida Bar puts out about 90 CLE tapes per year. We currently have 12 to 14 CLEs on hand and they last for eighteen months and then they expire. Mr. Ferguson proposed that 30 to 35 CLEs on hand at any given time will give a broad overview of practice areas. Ms. Everlove will begin to purchase more CLEs as they are published. It is a $6K to 8K annual expenditure. A strategy needs to be addressed to approach the Bar members as to how to select the CLEs that are purchased. This item is to be a budget amendment down the road.
3. Additional Hours: Main Library: Monday through Thursday 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. with no closing for lunch. Fridays will remain 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with no closing for lunch. Four hours Saturday morning to be determined by the Librarian. Sunday hours 1-5 p.m. to begin January 2012. St. Lucie West Brach: 3 hours per week. The additional Saturday and Sunday hours are to be experimental and may need to be revisited after attendance figures can be established.
4. St. Lucie West Branch: Mr. Ferguson reported that there was not much response from the members of the Port St. Luce Bar Association concerning the St. Lucie West Branch of the Law Library. However, the response that he did receive indicated that the most practical upgrades to the Branch would be an additional computer with online access to either Westlaw or Lexis or one of each on either computer. Upgrades to the existing computer, hardware and/or software. Additionally the feeling is that it would best to purchase updated/additional practice sets versus reporters for the Branch, the upgrade is to include form materials.
5. Friends of the Rupert J. Smith Law Library 2012 Law Day Annual Art Contest and Friendly Passages Journal:
Mr. Walker presented the Trustees with Form 8B. Memorandum of Voting Conflict for County, Municipal, and Other Local Public Officers (see Exhibit B attached hereto and made a part hereof. Mr. Walker is the president of the Friends and is a Trustee of the Rupert J. Smith Law Library. His service as Trustee conflicts with his presentation for a grant request made on behalf of the Friends in support of the 2012 Annual Law Day Art Contest (see Exhibit C attached hereto and made a part hereof) and a grant request in support of the Friends journal, entitled Friendly Passages (see Exhibit D attached hereto and made a part hereof. After filing Form 8B Mr. Walker proceeded with his presentation on behalf of the Friends, a copy of the grant request/proposal is attached hereto and made a part hereof. A lively discussion was had concerning this matter including a review of the statute that governs the Law Library and the legality of expending funds for these two items. After discussion is was determined that these expenditures fall within parameters set forth in the statute for the maintenance of the Law Library.
Mr. Wilder brought up the question of a feasibility study for this publication. Mr. Walker and Judge Conner both commented that since there is no other publication of its kind that they are aware of there is nothing to compare it to.
Judge Conner posed questions concerning an advertising fee structure. Mr. Walker advised that the Friends have employed Charlie Degada as their business manager and he is preparing an advertising fee structure. Ms. Everlove is the editor for the journal and graphics designs are by Paul Nucci. At this time the Friends have committed to pay Mr. Degada (sp?) $500.00 per issue as manager and Ms. Everlove $500.00 per issue as the editor. Graphics designs are a labor of love at this time, but compensation for same may be revisited at a later date. Discussion was had concerning the columns contained in the journal and various suggestions for same were made by the Trustees.
6. Smartboard/WhiteBoard: Mr. Wilder stated that he would like to see this line item increased to $5,000.00. He commented that a SmartBoard/WhiteBoard purchased for this sum would last approximately ten years before needing to be replaced with newer technology.
7. Reporters: Discussion was had concerning the update(s)/purchase of new sets for the Reporters. See the attached 2011/2012 Proposed budget for figures.
8. Artwork: Ms. Everlove reported that she budgeted $250.00 for replacing old artwork. This figure includes matting and framing.
An in-depth discussion was had by the Trustees as to the items set forth in the 2011/2012 Proposed Budget. This was done on the whole line item by line item.
The 2011/2012 Proposed Budget, with the following amendments was approved unanimously with the exception of Mr. Walker who had to abstain due to his previously announced conflict of interest. A copy of the 2011/2012 Proposed Budget is attached and made a part hereof.
APPROVED AMENDMENTS to 2011/2012 PROPOSED BUDGET
1. SmartBoard: Increased to $5,000.00.
2. Art Contest Grant: Increased to $4,000.00. Funds to be paid to the Friends with the request that there be a winner from every school that enters the contest. The suggested prize amount for this winner is $25.00. This prize/amount is not to be in addition to any other prize won by a student at that school. In addition the students must be advised that the Law Library has the right to take possession of the artwork for its use. The artwork will not be returned to the students.
3. Advertising: $8,500.00. Friendly Passages, no less than one full page of advertising in four issues. Reimbursement for the first issue and payment in advance for the next three issues. (Payable to The Friends of the Rupert J. Smith Law Library).
4. Software Purchase: Corel Software previously acquired by the Friends and to be made available for use hereafter by both the Trustees and Friends. (Purchase from the Friends).
5. Contract Services (additional hours and staff): Recalculate to reflect four hours on Saturday mornings, to begin as soon as practical. The Saturday morning hours of operation are to be set at Ms. Everloves discretion. Four hours on Sunday afternoons (1-5p.m.) to begin January of 2012. Notice of Sunday hours to be posted November and December of 2011 to notify patrons of the Sunday hours.
As there was no further business to discuss the meeting was adjourned.
Approved and signged this 7th day of October, 2011.
BURTON C. CONNER, Chairman
JIM WILDER, Member
JOHNATHAN FERGUSON, Member
PAULA A. LEWIS, Member
JAMES T. WALKER, Member